There are a number of Food Banks we will be supporting with our raffle:
The Central Okanagan Food Bank is a caring, compassionate group of people who help those in need, without consideration of race, religion or creed through:
- Providing healthy and nutritious foods to those in need
- Utilizing best practices of food purchase and preparation
- Creating partnerships and alliances for the effective and efficient collection and distribution of foods
- Providing appropriate and accurate referrals
- The COFB is accountable to our community for the programs and services we deliver
- We are responsible and transparent stewards of the resources entrusted to us by our community
Loaves and Fishes Food Bank currently provides food to over 3500 people per month.
They also provide free food to over 50 other local non-profits including school meal programs.
Through their innovative Food 4U Food Recovery Program, every $1.00 donated provides $5.98 worth of food to those in need.
Their clients come from all walks of life and are always served with dignity and kindness. They set up markets where clients can choose their own food as opposed to being handed a box. It provides a sense of agency and allows them to keep their pride while accepting help.
Loaves and Fishes is very supportive of the great services other charities provide in our community. Registered local non-profits and schools are invited to come “shop” in their warehouse free of charge for anything they might need to support their own meal programs.
Loaves and Fishes also helps the environment by diverting perfectly good food away from the landfills by collecting the food from grocery partners. Their Food 4U program diverts 45,000 kilos of food per month to our warehouse where it is sorted and the good food given to those in need. Any food not fit for people is given to local farmers for their animals or composts. This means that people in need can collect fresh food from our depots 6 days per week and perfectly edible food waste is stopped.
Lower Mainland, Cloverdale/Surrey Food Bank
Victoria, Mustard Seed